Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 40 of Living in Korea-Summer Camp!

Well, this week has been FANTASTIC! Instead of having 22 different classes in one week, I have 2 classes every day. The 1st grade group has 21 students and the 2nd grade group has 17 students. The 1st grade is kind of quiet, but they're such good kids! The 2nd grade is a wonderful group! They are SO MUCH FUN!
Monday, we played several getting to know you games and talked about the English names of the continents, the oceans, and the 7 new wonders of the world. Tuesday, we learned about idioms (you're pulling my leg, cat got your tongue, etc) and 2 English songs: Sk8er Boi by Avril Lavigne and the Cha Cha Slide! We had a hard time getting the 1st grade to do the Cha Cha Slide, but the 2nd grade really got into it! Wednesday, we talked about stories: I had two true stories that we read together and answered some questions on. Then we got to do some Mad Libs, which went over really well, especially with the 2nd grade. Their vocabulary amazes me sometimes. Today, we talked about movies: genres, describing movies, and taking turns giving movie riddles. The students got really excited and very competitive, especially in the 2nd grade. The 1st grade came up with some crazy movies, including a horror film called "Black Sheep." Apparently it's about killer sheep. We looked at pictures so the kids would understand what the plot was about and I couldn't stop laughing!

After doing a little more research, apparently it's not supposed to be taken seriously, but still...look up some more pictures, it has to one of the funniest things I've seen in a while! Tomorrow, we're watching Wall-E-hooray! We picked up some homemade rice cake snacks (so good) for the kids from a vendor in the park and I think we're going to try and get some drinks for them as well. The kids will also be bringing their own food, which will be interesting!

I also managed to get a cell phone last night-WOO HOO!! Things work quite a bit differently over here, but I'll save that for another post :-)

Here are two videos from summer camp! The first one is the 2nd grade students working on Sk8er Boi. Each group was assigned a different word to listen for and stand up when they heard it. I got a huge kick out of them bobbing up and down, so I took a video! I also got a video of the students doing a guessing game with movie riddles this afternoon. Their reactions crack me up, and these are relatively tame compared to what some of them were doing earlier-I'm about 95% sure I heard a four letter English word come out of one of their mouths, which of course made me laugh even more!



0 comments:

Post a Comment