Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 35 of Living in Korea-Seoul trip continued







The preceding videos show a bit of what we did after registering for the test. We went walking to see what we could eat for supper and found an amazing bulgogi (Korean BBQ) place.
It was just the two of us at the small table, but there was a giant flexible chimney suspended from the ceiling. The great thing about bulgogi is a lot of times, you cook it right at the table, which is what the chimney is for! The waitress brought us a few side dishes to get us started (kimchi of course and some kind of soup), then brought out a bowl full of simmering coals. After that, she brought the grill top and the meat, and we started cooking! The chimney was there so the entire restaurant didn't fill up with smoke, since most people were eating this dish. Pretty ingenious! My friend was worried that everything would be too spicy for me, but it was amazingly delicious. To eat it, you could take a lettuce leaf or a saffron leaf, put the meat in, put an onion mixture in, put some rice in, wrap it all up into a ball and stuff it inside your mouth. I can't even begin to describe how delicious this was! I also tried a little bean looking thing but quickly discovered why my friend was worried about spicy food-my mouth burned within two seconds of chewing it! But it was still good :-)

I managed to get her to let me pay for supper since she had accompanied me and helped me out so much. We decided to explore the area a little bit after supper. We started walking in the direction of City Hall and discovered a live concert on the grassy area by City Hall. We played in the fountains a little bit-it was a beautiful evening so it felt good-then went and got cushions to sit on. We sat down in the grass and just enjoyed the music! We found out that they have these concerts every night except for Mondays during the summer. Members of the Seoul Philharmonic often play and they have quite a few other performers as well, representing all different types of music. It's a wonderful series and one that I hope to take advantage of again.

Tonight, two of my co-teachers and I decided to go see "Knight and Day." It's in English but with Korean subtitles. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad! Tom Cruise looks darn good for his age ;-) but I had a hard time believing Cameron Diaz as a damsel-in-distress type. But we laughed a lot and my co-teachers got a kick out of the fact that the movie "started" in KS. I say "started" because it was VERY obvious that that was not Mid-Continent Airport!

After the movie, we decided to go out for supper. There's a pub in the market called "Hof and Chicken" (I think) that serves incredible fried chicken. We got a huge platter of chicken, a few side dishes, and we each had a big mug of beer. Yes, I drank beer. I'm still not a huge fan, but I'm finding that it's tolerable. We had a great conversation about experiencing different cultures, about our religious backgrounds and beliefs, and about life in Korea and the US. Every once in a while I have to pinch myself...I'm so incredibly lucky to have been placed where I am. My co-teachers are absolutely amazing, I love living where I am, and my job is wonderful. Maybe it's God paying me back for enduring the last four years...I'm not sure, but either way, I'm so glad He's put me in Guri.

0 comments:

Post a Comment