Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 18-An Event-filled Day

Today began with bad news. A student in WaKeeney was killed in a car accident yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with the Berqguist family and everyone in WaKeeney. I wish I could be there to comfort you. :-( Anna was an amazing young lady (even if she didn't want to play the clarinet!) and will be missed by so many people.


I went to work with a heavy heart, but shortly after I arrived, my co-teachers managed to cheer me up :-) Two of them went into Seoul yesterday and purchased two books for me to help me learn Korean! One of them is called "Korean Language for a Good Job" and the other is a book for kindergartners! The second book will be incredibly helpful for learning writing, reading, and a few basic words and sentences. I'm so grateful to have awesome co-teachers!!!

I spent some time looking through the books and talking to friends on Skype and before I knew it, it was time for parents' class. Today I only had two parents show up, but I was in for a treat-they took me out to lunch! We walked to the department store, where there's a bunch of restaurants on the 8th floor. They decided to take me to the Italian restaurant that they have up there. The menus had everything written in English as well as Korean and pictures of everything. I had to laugh at one of the English captions-it had a picture of delicious looking cheese sticks (mozzarella sticks) but instead of "cheese sticks" it read "cheese sicks." I showed it to the two parents with me, but they didn't understand why I was laughing and ordered it for me! They ordered two different kinds of spaghetti for me to try-spicy and sweet. The spicy spaghetti was SPICY!! The two ladies I was with enjoyed seeing my face turn beet red! Another thing that was interesting was a little dome that was attached to our table. The waiters and waitresses in Korea don't check on you periodically like they do in the States, so instead, they have a little button that you push when you need something. They laughed at me for not knowing what it was!

We finished up our lunch and went over to the food court to get some coffee. I had a delicious iced cafe mocha, which means I'll probably be up all night but it was worth it! We continued talking and I showed them the books my co-teacher gave me. They thought it was pretty funny that I enjoyed the kindergarten level book so much :-)

Since I went out to lunch with my parents from parents' class, I was able to go home early! I got home about 2:30 this afternoon and discovered Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on TV :-D So I'm going to watch it and work on my Korean!

0 comments:

Post a Comment