Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 168 (WOW) of living in Korea: Sports Festival

So I'm still not the best about keeping current on blogging...whoops. To be fair, things have been a little bit crazy lately. But when are they not...

Anyway, I decided that today was finally the day to write about our sports festival!
It was SO much fun!! It's a lot like our "field days" that we did in grade school, but there were only 3 events and classes competed against each other. Not only did they compete against each other in the events, but they also competed for most team spirit! It led to some very interesting outfits and behavior. Most of the classes maybe dressed up in matching outfits, a few had cheers or drums, and one class (of course, my nightmare class) had lots of yelling, crazy costumes, and by far the most team spirit! Here's a few videos of the day:


This one's pretty self explanatory. Just like we do in KS, they run relays. For some reason, quite a few people fell on that last corner...it made for an entertaining day! (Don't worry, none of the kids were hurt!)


This was a lot of fun to watch! Their goal was to get the most jumps in before making a mistake. 


This was my absolute favorite. It's called "nodari" (Korean friends, please correct me if I'm wrong!) It's a traditional Korean game. Two people hold onto one small person's hands while the small person walks across the backs of their teammates. The class that makes it across the yard first, wins!

I had a lot of work to do that day, but I really enjoyed watching the kids compete and seeing them as I'd never seen them before. Kids that are normally quiet were easily excitable and kids that are normally loud were absolutely out of control! It was an absolutely wonderful day :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment